fairy
learning to be
Thursday, May 20, 2004

taste testing

Last night, Sage got to try a strawberry float for the first time, watching her daddy mix strawberry ice cream and Sprite to make her the bubbly pink confection. She loved the sweet treat, of course, repeatedly pushing her cup in her father's direction and politely but pointedly demanding, "More, please!"

She had her first Coke float a couple of months ago, which she also loved, but not without some initial hesitation. So Dean and I chanted our usual mantra: "Try it," until she consented to have a taste. This led directly to the events of yesterday afternoon, when Dean and Sage were nibbling on some bits of pomelo. Now pomelo is one of the many fruits I dislike, so I wasn't having any of it. Sage noticed this, of course, and offered me a piece.

"No thank you," I replied, shaking my head. She pushed the fruit toward my mouth again, and I shook my head once more. "No thank you. Mommy doesn't like it."

"Try it!" she commanded sternly, sending me into a fit of helpless giggles... which turned into outright chortling when she stuffed the whole wedge into her own mouth, and her face contorted into a pained expression of utter dismay. "Is yucky!" she pronounced, with an air of betrayed revelation.

"No, Sage," Dean tried to show her, "it's yummy. Look at Daddy, mmm..."

"Yucky!" she protested, somewhat accusingly. "Yucky, yucky, yucky!" And she sat there on the bed between her snickering mother and snacking father, making faces until the culprit pomelo was finally put away.