fairy
learning to be
Thursday, January 20, 2005

comic belief

Sage was perusing her father's bookshelf of graphic novels (all of which she has been most thoroughly trained not to write or draw on or in), and promptly began a conversation with the drawing of a girl on one of the spines.

"Why are you sad?" I heard her ask. She turned toward me to explain, "Mommy, this girl is crying."

"Why is she crying?" I asked obligingly.

"She needs her mommy and daddy," Sage told me solemnly. Then, with a positively conspiratorial expression, she leaned further toward me, tapping one finger on her temple. "She's a little bit crazy," Sage stage-whispered.

I looked behind her at Dean's collection of the series Return of the Condor Heroes. The female lead Dragon Girl didn't look that unhinged to me, but clearly my understanding of character development leaves much to be desired...