fairy
learning to be
Thursday, April 14, 2005

princessly pronouncement

During our day at the mall last Tuesday, Dean and I bought Sage this jewelry-making kit for being good at the doctor's. She wanted to play with it right away, but as it contained a lot of loose beads, Dean asked her to wait till we were seated at a restaurant for dinner, so that the smaller pieces wouldn't get lost.

As we made a stop at Powerbooks to check out the selection, Sage oh-so-wistfully asked me, "Mommy, can we please open my new toy?"

"No, princess," I said. "We agreed to wait till we sit down for dinner, remember?"

"But I want to play with it now," Sage stated, forehead creasing into a frown.

"Well, you promised you'd wait," I told her. "And princesses always keep their promises, don't they?"

Looking up at me, Sage drew herself up to her full three-foot-four-inches. "The princess," I was informed loftily, "did not promise."

I swear, any day now, she's going to start saying, "Mother, we are not amused."